Son Charged With 3 Counts Of Murder In Duncan Triple Homicide

Wednesday, October 15th 2014, 3:04 pm
By: News 9

Charges have been filed against a 19-year-old who is accused of killing his parents and sister in Duncan. 

Marlow Review newspaper publisher, John Hruby, 50, his wife Joy "Tinker" Hruby, 48, and their 17-year-old daughter Katherine Hruby were discovered "cold and unresponsive" in the kitchen of their home in the 1200 block of Bent Street in Duncan, Monday.

10/14/2014 Related Story: Authorities Name Couple's Son The Suspect In Duncan Triple Homicide

Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford confirmed Alan Hruby as the only suspect in the triple homicide case. Alan Hruby is the son of John and Joy "Tinker" Hruby. Authorities said he has confessed to killing his father, mother and sister.

Last year, John Hruby turned his son in for using his grandmother's credit card and charging nearly $5,000 during a trip to Europe. Alan Hruby is on probation and a freshman at OU, but he's now behind bars in Stephens County.

Wednesday afternoon, Alan Hruby has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of his parents and sister. He has also been charged with two counts of knowingly concealing stolen property for concealing stolen checks.

A judge has denied bond for Hruby. 

District Attorney Jason Hicks asked that bond be denied due to the nature of the crime, and because Hruby left the state of Oklahoma after the murders to attend the OU-Texas game in Dallas. He said there is not a bond amount that could be set and still assure the safety of the public.

According to a police report, on October 9, John Hruby reported his 9mm semi-automatic handgun stolen from the console of his truck. Hruby told police he was on his way to work when he noticed the firearm missing.

10/15/2014 Related Story: Duncan Homicide Victim Reported Gun Stolen Days Before Being Found Dead

Authorities said they interviewed Alan Hruby on Tuesday, October 14. According to an affidavit released on Wednesday, Alan Hruby confessed to stealing one of his father's 9mm pistols from his truck, with the intent to use the pistol to murder John, Joy, and Katherine.

According to the affidavit, at about 8 p.m. on Thursday, October 9, Alan Hruby went to his parents' home and found his mother, Joy “Tinker” Hruby, in the kitchen. He said he shot Joy one time in her neck, and she fell to the ground. But she was still showing signs of life. That's when he fired a second shot at his mother's head, with the intent to kill her.

Alan Hruby's sister, Katherine, came into the house after washing her vehicle outside. When she entered the kitchen, Alan Hruby shot her one time in her head, killing her.

According to the affidavit, Alan Hruby then waited for his father, John Hruby. When John arrived home about an hour later, Alan Hruby shot him one time in the neck, and he fell to the ground. Alan Hruby told investigators that his father was showing signs of life, so he fired another shot in his father's head, killing him.

After the murders, Alan Hruby, authorities said, took the security video from the home and left the scene. He then disposed of the video and the weapon in a lake. He told authorities that he did not want to be caught, and that's why he got rid of those items. 

The affidavit states this action indicated that Hruby was aware that what he did was wrong, and that he knew the consequences of possessing these items would associate him to the murders. 

Hruby reportedly said he wanted to kill his family because he had been cut off financially, due to an abundance of spending in recent times.

Stephens County District Attorney Jason Hicks held a news conference Wednesday afternoon to discuss Hruby's charges. DA Hicks said death penalty will be “seriously” considered for Hruby.