Officials: Homeless Man Burned In Fire At Warr Acres Storage Unit


Wednesday, November 12th 2014, 7:07 am
By: News 9


A homeless man was burned Wednesday morning after a space heater ignited a fire inside a storage unit he was using to stay warm.

Crews responded to the fire just after 2 a.m. in the 4700 block of N. Meridian near N.W. 47th Street. When firefighters arrived they found the victim outside the storage unit with second degree burns. 

The man was rushed to a hospital by EMSA.

A spokesman for the Warr Acres Fire Department said it appears one of two space heaters inside the storage unit likely sparked the blaze that damaged at least eight units total. 

Firefighters said the man was in the storage unit to seek shelter from the cold. The owners of the storage unit said they've told the victim in the past that he could not live in the storage unit.