Oklahoma City fire fighters credit a working smoke detector for helping a family of four escape an early morning fire on the southwest side.
It happened on the 3800 block of S. Harvey Avenue around 5:50 a.m. Wednesday. A man and his three kids got out safely after a fire was spotted in the front bedroom of the home.
Firefighters said a house guest was staying in that bedroom, and likely did not extinguish his cigarette properly. He was not there at the time the fire started.
Fire crews estimate half of the home is damaged, and the damage is around $15,000. The family does not have renter's insurance. The American Red Cross has been contacted to help the family with their immediate needs.? ??