Former OKC Police Officer Jailed For Second Bond Violation

Monday, July 27th 2015, 5:32 pm
By: News 9

A former Oklahoma City police officer accused of sexually assaulting 13 women while on patrol is back in jail tonight.

Authorities took Daniel Holtzclaw into custody again, after an Oklahoma County judge ruled he violated the conditions of his bond.

Holtzclaw did not have anything to say for himself as he walked in to District Judge Timothy Henderson's courtroom Monday morning but Holtzclaw's defense attorney Scott Adams said his client regrets going off the grid earlier this month.

"He has a GPS monitor on and he is required to charge that every evening and it went dead one night and he didn’t realize it," Adams said.

Adams said Holtzclaw called the next morning to report the dead battery.

According to the violation report filed on July 20, Holtzclaw did not charge the battery  for more than 24 hours.

As a result, more than six hours were unaccounted for the morning of July 19.

The battery to the device was dead from 12:20 a.m. until 7 a.m.

"There is no question, there is no evidence that he was anywhere other than at home," Adams said.

Henderson ordered Holtzclaw to spend 15 days in jail for the violation and said he has zero tolerance for violations of this sort.

This is the second time Holtzclaw has been jailed for violating his bond. He spent 14 days in jail in September for going to the dentist without permission.

"I'd have to say the third time will probably be his last time," Adams said.

Holtzclaw understands that and once he's released from jail they will be fully focused on preparing for trial, Adams said.

Holtzclaw faces 36 charges including felony rape, lewd exhibition, forcible oral sodomy and sexual battery stemming from incidents that occurred while he was on duty in 2013 and 2014.

Prosecutors allege he sexually abused 13 women by forcing them to expose themselves, touching them inappropriately, or using his authority to force them to have sex.

"We are going through allegations one at a time," Adams said ”There is a lot of work ahead but we feel confident  that at the end of the day he will be acquitted."  

Holtzclaw's trial is set for October. If convicted, Holtzclaw faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Holtzclaw was placed on paid administrative leave when detectives began an investigation against him. He was on leave until he was fired from the Oklahoma City Police Department on Jan. 8.

Police Chief William Citty fired Holtzclaw after an internal investigation was conducted.

Holtzclaw maintains his innocence.