Minor Injuries Reported, Cat Saved After Blaze At NW OKC Apartment Complex


Sunday, October 18th 2015, 6:53 pm
By: News 9


An early morning fire Sunday sent residents jumping out of second floor windows of a N Rockwell Avenue apartment complex. 

There were minor injuries and one lucky, black cat. 

Oklahoma City fire officials said the blaze at Rockwell Plaza Apartments, 8201 N Rockwell Ave., was the result of a tenant forgetting to turn a second-floor oven off. 

The fire and water damage affected six units and displaced eight families. 

10/18/2015 Related Story: Fire Crews Battle Blaze At North OKC Apartment Complex

Rookie firefighter Jeremy Dunshie found a black cat unconscious in the second-floor apartment where officials say the blaze started. 

Dunshie was able to revive the cat using an oxygen mask, after he rushed it outside. 

Charles Fortune and his girlfriend live in the apartment next to the one where the fire started.

He said they both had to dive out second-floor windows in their unit to get to safety.

“Man it was a scary thing, dude,” he said.   

Two people who jumped out of the second-floor apartment's windows where the fire started were taken to a local hospital with burns and an ankle injury. 

Dunshie said he was just glad to help out.

“Absolutely, it’s one of the better parts of this job,” he said.