Firefighters in the metro are on duty this holiday season, ready to respond at a moment’s notice. But as you celebrate, they hope you won’t put safety on the back burner.
This time of year, it's easy for people to get caught up in Christmas. But whether you’re cooking for guests or heating your home, now more than ever is the time to have working smoke alarms.
“The smoke detectors need to be placed outside of all the bedrooms, inside the bedrooms and in hallways,” said Major Grant Roberts with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.
In these locations, the alarms can spare you seconds and even spare your life. A recent demonstration showed just how fast a fire can go from floor to ceiling on a Christmas tree.
But research shows most house fires in the United State start in the kitchen. And firefighters said cooking with grease calls for extra caution.
“Don’t ever put water on a grease fire. It’ll cause it to spread so that why you want to use, hopefully you have a fire extinguisher handy in the house,” Major Roberts said.
And this holiday weekend, we expect a blast of cold winter weather - which means we'll crank up the heat or even experience power outages.
“Space heaters need to be at least three feet from any source of anything that’s combustible,” Major Roberts said. And if you need to use a generator during an outage, make sure it’s outside or well-ventilated.
Because if not, firefighters said the colorless, odorless silent killer called carbon monoxide could sneak up on you.
Free smoke detectors are available at local fire stations and carbon monoxide detectors are available at most hardware stores.