Quick thinking by complete strangers likely saved the life of a Sterling High School cheerleader Saturday at Penn Square Mall.
Hanah Clemons, 15, suffered a diabetic seizure while shopping for a homecoming dress with her mother and grandmother.
However, Windsor Fashions’ store manager Todd Hand quickly called 911.
A retired nurse who was also shopping nearby, helped Hanah’s mother Hollie administer the saline and sugar water shot she needed to survive.
Within minutes, that shot brought Hanah back to consciousness.
“It shouldn’t end this way on a floor in a store,” Hanah’s grandmother Michelle Ahearn said Tuesday afternoon. “I mean I honestly thought I was holding her when she was dying.”
Hand deflected any credit for helping save Hanah’s life.
“I just would hope someone would do the same for me or my family,” he said.
Hollie Clemons said she’s especially thankful the retired nurse stepped in to help, because Clemons actually bent the needle the first time she tried to administer the shot to her daughter.
“And she just reaches over and takes it,” Clemons said Tuesday.
Hand said the retired nurse was in town shopping from somewhere in Kansas Saturday.
He passed the woman’s phone number on to Clemons, who plans to call the woman to thank her personally.