Authorities Release Jerrod Murray Murder Confession Video

Wednesday, February 17th 2016, 10:45 pm
By: News 9

In December 2012, Jerrod Murray told investigators he shot and killed a fellow college student after the idea "popped in his head."

And until now, the victim's family had never seen the killer's confession.

As Jeana West and her daughter watched Pottawatomie County Undersheriff J.T. Palmer interview then 18-year-old Jerrod Murray, tears fell and stomachs turned at the sound of his voice, admitting to a cold-blooded murder.

“And how did you murder him?” Palmer asked.

“With a gun. I shot him in the head twice,” Murray replied.

The interview began just before 6 a.m. on December 6, 2012.

2/16/2016 Related Story: State Senate Bill Proposes 'Guilty But With Mental Defect' Option

The night before Murray, wearing a tie and trench coat, said he swindled West's son, Generro Sanchez, into giving him a ride to Walmart in exchange for $20. It was part of what he said he had been planning for weeks and he had chosen a victim.

“Generro,” Murray said. “I do not know how to spell that, but it is with a ‘G’,” he added when Undersheriff Palmer asked who he had murdered.

He also told Palmer he actually tried to carry out his plan two days prior. But Generro wasn't in his dorm room.

Once he eventually got into Generro's pickup - Murray said he pulled the gun and demanded he drive him to Asher.

“He panicked,” Murray said about the victim. “Kept telling me not to kill him. To make him feel more comfortable I unloaded the clip, unloaded the bullet from the chamber, handed them over to him, and that eased his nerves a little.”

But that abruptly changed. On a rural road, Murray said he fired two shots at Generro who was driving. They crashed and then he said he shot him again.

“Why did you do it?” Palmer asked.

“If I’m pressed to answer I’ll say it’s to prove the strength of my resolve,” Murray said.

“Do you feel any remorse?” Palmer asked.

And after a short pause, Murray replied, “I’m sad that I got caught so quickly. But that’s almost lessened by being caught by someone who had ‘sheriff’ on their jacket, so, but for killing them? No.”

Murray also told investigators he believed he deserved the death penalty. In his words that punishment would be “an eye for an eye.”

Instead he was found "not guilty by reason of insanity" and sent to a mental health facility in Vinita.

Pottawatomie County District Attorney Richard Smothermon said 38 days after that hearing a doctor said Murray was no longer a danger to society and he had the possibility of being released.

Now, Smothermon and the victim's family are working to change the law to create a "guilty but with mental defect" option to allow a jury to send a certain class of defendants to prison and not for treatment.

“To hear him say that I would’ve done it two or three days earlier and I’d been planning it for two weeks, now you tell me how much somebody can say that they premeditated murder, premeditated murder on their mind and they’re going to get ‘not guilty by reason of insanity?” West questioned.

“He can’t die in vain. It cannot be in vain. We have to do something. The law has to be changed,” she told News 9.