Two adults and two children escaped a house fire in southwest Oklahoma City, Friday morning.
Crews responded to the fire at about 6:30 a.m. in the 9600 block of Coldstream Ln., which is near S.W. 104th and Council.
When firefighters arrived, they found heavy flame and smoke showing from the side of the large, single-story home. There were no fire hydrants in the area, so firefighters utilized tankers to supply water.
Officials said the fire had already consumed several rooms of the home by the time firefighters arrived, and the smoke was thick throughout the home. Crews made their way into the home and worked quickly to contain the fire to the rooms that were already involved. They had a great deal of fire to contend with as this home had a very cut-up floor plan which provides many hidden places for fire to hide. Firefighters located and extinguished all fire before it had a chance to grow any larger. Crews then worked hard to salvage any contents that they possibly could.
There were two adults and two children home at the time of the fire. All four made it out safely before firefighters arrived. Smoke alarms woke the family up, and they moved quickly to exit the home.
Fire officials said the cause of the fire appears to have been accidental. A candle had caught a book on fire before the family had gone to bed the night before. The fire was extinguished with a fire extinguisher, but apparently the book was still hot enough to rekindle and cause a larger fire to start while the family slept.
Nobody was in the bedroom where the fire began. No one was injured.