Last week authorities asked for help identifying a suspect wanted in multiple thefts.
Thursday, officers announced they have taken suspected serial burglar 45-year-old Fernando Gutierrez into custody.
Gutierrez was booked into jail on nine counts of second-degree burglary, and one count of larceny of a motor vehicle. Police say it’s likely that Gutierrez face additional charges connected to other burglaries they are investigating.
Authorities say Gutierrez committed many burglaries within a few weeks. The first known incident was reported in mid-July. The last incident was reported last week.
Several surveillance videos captured the crimes, including the burglary at Award Motors. Owner Trevor Ward has installed extra surveillance cameras since the incident.
“Angry, I mean just furious, helpless, all in one,” he expressed.
He said the incident happened around 2:30 a.m. on July 16. A white vehicle was stolen from his lot.
Since then, Ward has been sleeping on his business property to protect it from this intruder. He said detectives found his car, but it was not driveable and trashed inside. Ward has since fixed it and cleaned it up.
Hearing that Gutierrez is in jail gives Ward a sense of relief.
“It has not been fun for sure. Now I can go home. I’m happy,” he said.