Alleged Obsession Leads to Murder, Suicide In OKC

Friday, December 21st 2012, 7:24 pm

By: News 9

An alleged obsession ended in a murder and suicide Friday. We know two men are dead, a woman has been assaulted, and four children are in protective custody.

Oklahoma City Police have identified the suspect as Darrell Wilson and the male victims as William Schnittman. News 9 has also learned Wilson had just filed for divorce from his wife last week, and she had filed for protective order earlier in the month. Schnittman had also filed for a protective order.

12/21/2012 Related Story: Suspect Shoots Man, Then Kills Self On I-35 In OKC

According to the protective orders filed Dec. 4, Schnittman claims Wilson had threatened him multiple times since September, and had been stalking and harassing him, even sending death threats.

But the protective order was denied. The same day, his girlfriend also filed a protective order against Wilson, claiming he had been harassing her, stalking her and doing property damage for going on five months. She wrote he had become obsessive and that she was really afraid of what he may be capable of.

The two have three children together and she has another from another marriage.

Then, Oklahoma City police were called to the 1500 block of N.W. 39th street around 3 a.m. after Norman Police contacted them after someone called them.

Police say that's where they found the woman inside the car with Wilson and a gun.

"The male appeared to be holding the woman hostage," said Captain Dexter Nelson, Public Information Officer with Oklahoma City Police. "Officers were able to convince him to release the female."

But then Wilson took off, and led police on a high-speed chase along I-35 until he crashed near the Oklahoma River.

"The pursuing officer believes that the individual shot himself either at the end of the pursuit or prior to his car coming to rest on the highway where it crashed," Nelson confirmed.

Back at the house, police found Schnittman had also been shot multiple times. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Police confirm that since March of this year, they had been called out to that house on N.W. 39th street 26 times on various complaints, and had been involved in another high-speed pursuit with Wilson back in November. He was arrested on suspicion of DUI. He had also filed a protective order against his wife, but it was denied.

Police tell us the four young children found inside the home have been placed in protective custody.


Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News 9 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

December 21st, 2012

November 7th, 2022

July 20th, 2022

August 31st, 2021

Top Headlines

December 4th, 2022

December 4th, 2022

December 4th, 2022

December 4th, 2022