At Least 3 Killed In Explosions At Boston Marathon Finish Line

Monday, April 15th 2013, 3:09 pm
By: News 9

Boston Police say at least three people were killed Monday afternoon when two explosions rocked the area near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, the world-famous 26.2 mile trek that draws thousands of runners and spectators to the city.

Police commissioner Ed Davis confirmed the three deaths but provided no details.

The explosions Monday also injured more than 130 people, knocking spectators and at least one runner off their feet.

Some of the victims lost arms and legs. Other injuries included broken bones, shrapnel wounds and ruptured eardrums.

Two explosions shattered the euphoria of the Boston Marathon finish line, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts.

Just before 4 p.m., Boston police commissioner confirmed that there was a third explosion at the JFK Library. It is unclear at this time if this incident is connected to the marathon explosions.

CBS News reports that may have been an explosive device detonated by police as a precaution. The device was reportedly under the viewing bleachers on Boylston Street.

It's not known yet what caused the explosions.

Ron Winn from Tulsa had just finished running the Boston Marathon when he heard the first explosion.

"I didn't really think anything of it, then the second one went off. It's just shocking." Winn said he was walking into his hotel, which is right at the finish line.

Winn, 65, was not injured and said everyone in his group is fine. Now he is watching the coverage on television.

"I'm just thankful I'm okay. I know a lot of people aren't," he said.

Eighty-six Oklahomans were registered in the race. If you know the name of people entered in the race, you can search for their names at the Boston Marathon web site to see when they finished.

According to that site, 86 Oklahomans ran the marathon.

WBZ-TV says the medical tent near the end of the marathon course has been filled with many people who have been "gravely injured."

Daniel Lampariello, a college student who was at the finish line, told that people were trampling each other after the pair of explosions.

"It sounded like a large firework or M-80," he said.

Competitors and race organizers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another thunderous explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

WBZ reports one blast blew out the windows of a Marathon Sports store on Boylston Street.

There were two "incredibly powerful explosions just seconds apart," according to WBZ-TV's Lis Hughes.

Runner Laura McLean of Toronto said she heard two explosions outside the medical tent.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," McLean said. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.

"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."