Oklahoma students in China missed earthquake


Monday, May 12th 2008, 12:05 pm
By: News 9


Newson6.com

A group of Tulsa school students and their teachers from Hoover Elementary who have been in China since last week are safe, despite word of a powerful earthquake in China. 

The death toll from that earthquake overnight in China continues to climb and reportedly buried 900 students in Sichuan province.

School officials said the Tulsa group of 10 students and six teachers are getting ready to return home.  Hoover principal Chris Clark said he talked with the group Monday morning and they told him everyond on the field trip is safe. 

Clark said the group was in Shanghai at the time of the 7.8-magnitude earthquake.  The quake itself was center in the Sichuan province, west of Shanghai.

Earlier this month, NewsOn6.com anchor Margaret Stokes sat down with the students to talk about their China trip.  [Click here to read that story]  

While in China, Clark said the group of 4th and 5th graders visited with their sister school. Clark said students at their sister school are alright as well.

Related story:

5/1/2008  Students Take Field Trip To China