2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ inch sliced mushrooms
1 yellow onion
4 tablespoons water
3 large eggs
3 cups heavy whipping cream
¼ cup dark molasses
1 ½ tablespoons peppercorns
1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
¾ cup manchego cheese (parmesan will work as substitute)
French bread baguettes, cubed
Panko Japanese bread crumbs
1. In a warm pan heat extra virgin olive oil.
2. Add unsalted butter until melted, then toss in mushrooms until coated.
3. Add 2 tablespoons water, let steam by placing lid over the pan for 5-10 minutes.
4. Place mushrooms in a bowl to cool.
5. In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons water and sliced onions. Cook until caramelized.
6. Add onions to mushroom bowl to cool.
7. In a separate bowl, beat 3 large eggs, then add heavy whipping cream and dark molasses. Mix well.
8. Add peppercorn, kosher salt, manchego cheese to mushrooms & onions and stir.
9. Pour cream mixture over mushrooms & onions and stir.
10. Add French bread cubes, lightly toss, then let sit for 1 hour so bread can absorb cream.
11. Butter pan (unsalted butter), sprinkle Japanese bread crumbs on coated pan.
12. Pour mushroom mixture into pan. Bake in oven on 325 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour or until top is browned.
13. Serve warm.