Oklahoma Natural Gas Warns Customers Of Potentially Deadly Problem


Monday, November 8th 2010, 3:23 pm
By: News 9


Jennifer Pierce, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- As the weather turned cooler, many metro residents started turning on their heaters. But Oklahoma Natural Gas had a warning for people.

Several ONG technicians have run into a potentially deadly problem on homes that were re-roofed due to the hail storms earlier in the year. During the roof repairs, some flue pipes on furnaces and hot water heaters have become disconnected. When the pipes are not attached, carbon monoxide has no place to go except back into the homes. This can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and even death.

"We are seeing huge problems that we are afraid there will be loss of life or loss of property," said heating specialist Mark Kaserman.

ONG sent out warnings in customers' October bills. They advised customers to check all natural gas appliances. ONG can send out technicians to check furnaces and pipes, but told homeowners to contact a heating specialist if repairs need to be done.

"If you had your roof replaced, it's very important to check and make sure those flue vents that go from a furnace or water heater or any fuel burning appliance are properly sealed and remain in the place that they are supposed to be," said ONG spokesperson Don Sherry.

More: Protect Your Family From 'The Silent Killer'