It is stunning that it has taken eight months to finally get to some of the hard truths about what happened when our ambassador to Libya was murdered in Benghazi, and after the testimony Wednesday, you can see why administration officials were not in any hurry to expedite the investigation.
Three whistleblowers testified the government hadn't prepared for that kind of attack. The Obama administration was hesitant to act while four Americans were being killed, and that in the aftermath the State Department did a lousy job of investigating it.
One diplomat who was in Tripoli on September 11 of last year frantically tried to coordinate a response to help those who were under siege, talking to Washington and Benghazi. And when Special Forces were ordered to stand down, to not even try a rescue, he said "They were furious."
He quoted a Lt. Colonel as saying, " This is the first time in my career that a diplomat has more (guts) than somebody in the military."
And when asked about the Obama administration's explanation that the attack was over an anti-Islamic video, and was not a planned terrorist attack, which it was, he said "My jaw dropped and I was embarrassed."
Fine, but will anyone be held accountable, and I mean be fired? Doubtful, although some should, especially those who it seems knowingly mislead the public in the days after the attack.