Neighbors in NW OKC whose homes were destroyed after an explosion early Saturday morning are desperate for answers.
They want to know what sparked the massive blast that send three people to the hospital including one man with 2nd and 3rd degree burns.
“They were trapped in bed,” said Michael Boyd about his grandparents who live right next door to the home that exploded.
Wayne and Winnie Boyd went to the hospital after having difficulty breathing and both are expected to be OK.
“It’s a miracle no one was killed,” said Boyd as he walked News 9 cameras through his grandparents’ damaged home.
Drywall and insulation have fallen from the attic, kitchen appliances are blown more than a dozen feet from the wall and roof rafters are snapped from the blast. The home is a total loss.
In a neighborhood with dozens of homes affected from the explosion, it’s the damage you don’t see that still hurts.
“Falling asleep is probably the hardest thing for us right now,” said Gabrielle Marks, who lives across the street from the home that exploded.
Neighbors called in a possible gas leak Friday night and ONG had crews in the area, inspecting at the time of the blast Saturday, around 3 a.m. But two days after the homes were destroyed, people are frustrated to have no answers of what sparked the blast.
“It’s absolutely maddening. Someone should be held responsible,” said Boyd.
ONG says it’s investigating and has no timetable on when it might be able to figure out what happened. The company released the following statement regarding the incident late Monday evening:
"The status of the investigation into the cause of the incident is ongoing and we continue to cooperate with the Oklahoma City Fire Department, Oklahoma Corporation Commission and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
The timetable for filing a report on the results of the investigation with federal and state agencies is February 1, 2016.
Natural gas service has been interrupted, affecting five residential customers. As service becomes available, crews will be made available to turn service back on. Customers will need to be at home in order to have their service restored.
We continue to actively work with those residents unable to return to their homes to secure temporary accommodations and other means of assistance.
As a reminder, if you smell natural gas in your area, leave immediately and call 911 or Oklahoma Natural Gas 1-800-458-4251."