ONG Report: 'Poor Workmanship' Was Cause Of NW OKC House Explosion


Monday, February 1st 2016, 7:47 pm
By: LeighAnne Manwarren


A house in northwest Oklahoma City exploded due to "poor workmanship," Oklahoma Natural Gas concluded in a report released Monday.

The house, 12505 Whispering Hollow Drive, exploded just after 3:15 a.m. on Jan. 2.

The explosion destroyed one house and extensively damaged many homes nearby.

1/6/2016 Related Story: Insurance Commissioner Walks Through Wreckage Of NW OKC Home Explosion

According to the report, the explosion was a result of unintentional release of gas from a construction defect in the gas pipe. The report specified that the construction defect was "poor workmanship."

"The source of the leak was a crack in a butt fusion weld in a four inch polyethylene main," the report said. "There was a lack of fusion in the interior mid-portion of the weld in the segment of the weld where the crack was located."

About $240 worth of gas was released. 

Three ONG employees were investigating a report of an odor at the residence next door when the explosion occurred, the report said.

One person was inside the home at the time of the incident. He was blown out of bed and suffered injuries and burns, firefighters said at the time.