80-Year-Old Ada Grandfather Being Called A Hero
ADA, Oklahoma - An 80-year-old grandfather whose home went up in flames early Monday morning, is being called a hero.
Ruebin Orphan put his life on the line by running back into the burning home for his granddaughters and their friend.
He saved three lives, and the Ada fire chief said if it wasn't for this grandfather, all four would have died in the fire.
Police tape surrounded the home of Orphan on Egypt Road in Ada, a constant reminder for Jamie Easly whose daughter was inside when the fire was spreading.
“It's kind of a sad thing,” said Jamie Easly.
Jamie lives right behind Orphan and has known him all her life.
“I woke up to the girls screaming, and so I called 911,” said Easly.
The fire started in Orphan's bedroom, and according to the Ada fire chief, Orphan immediately got up to get everyone out.
“Went straight toward the other end of the house where the children were sleeping, woke the kids up, got them around,” said Ada fire chief, Marion Harris.
“But he had gone back in the house. I guess that he was looking for the girls,” said Easly.
They believe Orphan may have panicked, because he didn't see his granddaughters, 12 and 13-years-old, and their friend behind him.
“They got out a window right there on the side and his bedroom was down there,” said Easly.
About six feet into the living room, Chief Harris said the heat and smoke became too much for Orphan and he didn't make it back out.
“He was a wonderful man. He was 80-years-old, and to lose him like this is really really hard,” said Easly.
“It still hadn't really sunk in. It was like shock for five or six hours. Could not believe that this had happened,” said Ray Orphan.
Orphan's son Ray said his father's two granddaughters kept him moving, even at 80-years-old.
“Caring dad, loving dad. He would just do anything for you,” said Orphan.
“Yeah, she's safe, and she's at home thanks to him,” said Easly. “It was a very scary thing, and I am so grateful to Reubin. So grateful.”
Chief Harris said an electrical short in an extension cord that lead to Orphan's bedroom was to blame for the early morning fire.