Spicy Chicken Soup
Tuesday, November 11th 2008, 9:33 am
By: News 9
- 1 quarts water
- 16 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 oz fresh pico de gallo salsa
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) cans chili beans, undrained
- 4 oz fat free container sour cream
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine water, chicken, salt, pepper, fresh parsley, onion powder and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken, reserve broth. Shred chicken.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly browned. Stir in shredded chicken and 5 cups broth. Simmer 15 minutes.
One serving (1/8th of recipe) provides 325 calories, 26 grams protein, 10 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 36 grams carbohydrate, 8 grams fiber and 40 mg cholesterol. The sodium content varies depending on the type of canned broth and vegetables purchased. Brands with "no-added-salt" have significantly less sodium than standard products.