Neighbor Spots Fire, Helps Save OKC Home


Tuesday, August 30th 2011, 8:41 am
By: News 9


News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A woman who stepped outside to smoke a cigarette happened to spot a fire sparked by a cigarette at her neighbor's home.

The woman was outside around 2:20 a.m. on Tuesday, August 30, when she saw fire and smoke coming through a back window at a house near S.W. 44th Street and Agnew. She called 911 and firefighters arrived just a few minutes later.

Crews quickly extinguished the fire. Firefighters say it appears the fire was started by a discarded cigarette. The homeowner had put out the cigarette in an ash tray, but the tray fell over and the still-smoldering butt started the fire.

The homeowner was not in the house when the fire started. No one was hurt and most of the damage was contained to a few rooms.