Disaster Assistance Expands To Include More Storms And Canadian County

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 12:13 pm
By: News 9

Homeowners, renters and business owners in Canadian County who sustained damage as a result of recent back-to-back storms may now apply for state and federal disaster assistance. The federal disaster declaration now covers damage incurred by severe storms, flooding and tornadoes May 18 through June 2.

Complete Coverage: May 2013 Tornado Outbreak

Individual Assistance was extended to Canadian County after a review of ongoing damage assessments by officials from the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

6/11/2013 Related Story: White House Expands Disaster Declaration In Oklahoma

Disaster assistance for qualified applicants may include:

  • Grants to rent a new place to live temporarily as needed.
  • Grants for home repairs not covered by insurance.
  • Grants for serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance—such as medical, dental, funeral, personal property, vehicles and moving and storage.
  • Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance.

Survivors in six designated counties, Canadian, Cleveland, Lincoln, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie, who sustained losses or damage from storms that occurred May 18 through June 2 may register anytime online at disasterassistance.gov or type in m.fema.gov on your smartphone.

To apply for disaster assistance by phone, call FEMA at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585). Survivors who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services may call 800-621-3362 to register. The toll-free numbers remain open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

To apply in person, survivors may visit a disaster recovery center. Currently, specialists from OEM, FEMA and the SBA are at four recovery centers in Oklahoma to answer questions and help survivors.

Nearly 3,900 people have visited the centers:

  • Little Axe Elementary School, 2000, 168th Ave. NE, Norman, Hours: 9 a.m.—7 p.m.
  • Carney High School, 204 South Carney St., Carney, Hours: 8 a.m.—7 p.m.
  • Westmoore High School, 12613 South Western Ave., Oklahoma City Hours: 8 a.m.—8 p.m.
  • Gordon Cooper Technology Center, One John C. Bruton Blvd., Shawnee Hours: 8 a.m.—8 p.m.

FEMA hazard mitigation advisers are at the recovery centers to offer brochures and discuss ways to rebuild safer and stronger with interested homeowners.

Available disaster programs also include Disaster Unemployment Assistance, crisis counseling and Disaster Legal Services for all qualified survivors.

Survivors should register with FEMA even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has registered with another disaster relief organization, such as the American Red Cross.

Applicants will be asked to provide:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where you can get mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers if you want direct deposit of any financial assistance.

For more information on Oklahoma disaster recovery, click fema.gov/disaster/4117 or visit the OEM site at oem.ok.gov.