Smoke Alarms Alert OKC Family To House Fire


Thursday, January 8th 2015, 8:28 am
By: News 9


A family was able to escape from their burning home after it caught fire in southeast Oklahoma City, early Thursday morning.

According to the fire department, crews responded to the fire just after midnight at a home near S.E. 59th and Triple X Road. Firefighters said they struggled to save the home for a number of reasons.

Smoke alarms are the reason the family woke up and rushed out of the home. But once fire crews arrived, flames were already shooting out of the second story of the 3,500 square foot house.

Firefighters haven't determined a cause but don't believe it was set on purpose. It may have started near the chimney.

The roof caved in, making it tough for firefighters to get into the home. On top of all this, the house is in an area with no fire hydrants. So water tankers each with 2500 gallons had to truck in the water.

An additional tanker was requested, so with all that water used and the cold temperatures, the ground became very slick and dangerous to walk on.

No firefighters were injured. Fire crews tell us this is a total loss.