9 Taken To OKC Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Saturday, July 30th 2016, 10:57 am
By: News 9


The Oklahoma City Fire Department says nine occupants of a home in Yukon were transported to the hospital to be evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning early Saturday morning.

At 6:22 a.m., crews responded to a home at 2125 Dogwood Creek Ave., after a report of a person being passed out.

According to OKCFD, electricity to the home was recently cut off, and a portable generator was being used to provide power. The generator was left running inside the garage with the garage doors open.

When firefighters arrived, they monitored the air and detected a CO reading from outside the home. So, firefighters made entry while wearing self-contained breathing apparatus. They located the unconscious adult male, and took him outside where he regained consciousness.

Firefighters said high levels of Carbon Monoxide were detected inside the home.

According to OKCFD, in all, there were three adults and six children inside the home and they were all transported to a local hospital to be evaluated for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

OKCFD said they want to remind people that portable generators should only be used outdoors away from windows, doors, or vents which could allow deadly CO into the home. And that it is never safe to use a portable generator inside a garage, even if the doors are open.