Sassy Mama: Chicken & Sauteed Mushrooms With Tomato & Polenta
For more Sassy Mama recipes, visit @carynsassymamaross on Instagram.
Monday, September 11th 2023, 4:55 pm
News 9's Sassy Mama is sharing her version of Tom Colicchio’s recipe for Sauteed Mushrooms with Tomato & Polenta.
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups polenta
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 stick butter
- 1 pound thinly sliced chicken cutlets
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Season with salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound of mixed mushrooms, cut or torn into similar sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh mixed herbs, such as rosemary, parsley, tarragon, or thyme, minced
- 1 jar Tom Colicchio Trentino Sauce
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Bring stock to a boil over high heat in a large saucepan. Whisking constantly, add the polenta and continue to whisk until the polenta comes to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium/low. Season with salt and pepper and simmer, stirring frequently until the polenta no longer tastes grainy. (approx. 30-45 minutes)* Stir in butter and add salt and pepper as needed.
You can use quick cooking polenta .
While the polenta is cooking, prepare the mushrooms and chicken:
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Once preheated, add olive oil and allow to heat.
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge the chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour and add to saute pan. Cook chicken until it is lightly golden brown and then flip over and continue to cook. Once chicken is evenly brown on both sides, remove from the pan and place on a paper lined towel. Cover to keep warm.
- Add additional oil to the saute pan and heat. Place a test mushroom in the pan. If it sizzles, add more mushrooms, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. You can do this in two batches. Add a sprinkle of Kosher salt to the mushrooms to help draw out more of their moisture.
- Raise the heat slightly and allow the mushrooms to become brown and crisp all over, turning them every so often. This should take around 5-7 minutes total.
- Combine garlic, shallot, and herbs and add them to the pan, lowering the heat.
- Allow the aromatics to cook for 1 minute, taking care not to let them burn. Finish with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. If working in two batches, repeat steps one through six.
- In a medium pot, cook the Trentino Sauce until warmed through. Add mushrooms and coat with sauce.
- Slice chicken into strips.
- Place polenta in serving dishes and top with tomato & mushroom mixture and sliced chicken.
Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from Tom Colicchio’s recipe Sauteed Mushrooms with Tomato & Polenta