Toddler Held Hostage At Knifepoint Rescued By Police, Child's Father In Custody

Wednesday, July 14th 2021, 5:20 pm
By: Jennifer Pierce

NORMAN, Okla. -

A metro toddler was safely rescued on Wednesday, and her father was taken into custody for threatening the child’s life with a knife.

The dramatic scene unfolded on metro roads and ended in a standoff in a Norman neighborhood. 

Oklahoma City police were on the lookout for 35-year-old Adam Herrera for felony eluding warrants. They were not expecting the wanted man to put his child’s life at risk.

Residents in a Norman neighborhood near 12th Avenue and Tecumseh Road watched a three-hour standoff unfold from their backyards.

“It was pretty disturbing to see that a toddler was involved and to hear what was going on,” said Walker Hinds, a witness. “It was very saddening.”

Law enforcement finally convinced Herrera to hand over the 2-year-old child he allegedly held at knifepoint. An officer was able to safely take the toddler into his arms.

“Appears to be healthy and no injuries at this time that I was told,” said Master Sgt. Robbie Robertson, Oklahoma City Police Department.

Shortly after, Herrera was taken into custody along with the knife he used to threaten his daughter's life.

“The weapon he initially did have was recovered and is in our custody,” said Robertson.

Neighbors said they were relieved to see the child safe.

“It was overwhelming to see them getting custody of the child,” said Hinds. “But then to see him go into police custody was relieving, also.”

Police said it all started around 4 a.m. when an officer attempted to pull Herrera over on a traffic stop in southwest Oklahoma City. Instead, Herrera took off and led police on a chase with speeds topping over 100 mph at times.

The chase ended in Norman when one of the suspect's tires blew out. He carried the child into a nearby neighborhood and police locked down the area as they negotiated with the armed man.

Ultimately, a life or death hostage situation had a peaceful ending.

“The child was the utmost important to us, utmost priority,” said Robertson. 

Herrera was booked into the Oklahoma County Detention Center on 11 complaints stemming from the chase and standoff.

Related: WATCH: OCPD Rescues 2-Year-Old Out Of Hostage Situation