Family Looking For Answers After Man Dies Following Police Altercation

Sunday, August 12th 2012, 11:18 pm
By: News 9

A family accusing Oklahoma City Police of a cover up is speaking out and demanding answers about their loved one's death.

Robin Howard died in the hospital following an altercation with officers. Howard's family says they got the news four days after he died and say police aren't giving them the answers they want about what happened.

Police say they are giving a family member all the information they can at this time.

"We want to know why," said Howard's mother, Lonzetta Morrison.

Robin Howard's family sits in the same position they were in weeks ago; wondering how he died after a scuffle with police.

"We're at a loss and we want answers and we want to know the truth. We want to know what happened," said Morrison.

Captain Dexter Nelson with the Oklahoma City Police Department tells News 9 the investigation is ongoing and his investigators can't disclose all the information the family wants. But he stresses there is no cover up.

Attorney David Slane says things just aren't adding up.

We know that was not any fatality type accident there. As a matter of fact, in addition to that, we know that the police, according to the official reports that we got in our own independent investigation, shows the police canceled EMSA. So they didn't even have EMAS treat him," said Slane.

Howard's mother thinks her son died after two police officers beat him.

"We know that he had punctured lungs. We know that he had broken ribs. We know he had a broken arm. We know of other injuries that were visible," said Morrison..

Howard's mom and sisters won't give up until they have the answers they're looking for.

"It's hard, because you know I find myself crying at work, at home, when I'm talking to my mom, my sister, when we're just sharing memories about him," said Howard's sister, Kimberly Turner..

"Robin lived with me. I miss him every morning when I look in his room," Morrison said.

Nelson tells News 9 the officers involved in that physical altercation are on restricted duty. Two others, who had no physical contact with Howard, are on routine patrol.

When the investigation concludes, the district attorney's office will decide what action, if any, to take.