OKC Man Finds Out Daughter Is Alive

Thursday, July 11th 2013, 11:00 pm
By: News 9

A metro man is preparing to meet a baby he never thought he'd see. The baby's mother told him the child died at birth, but eight months later he found out that's not the case.

Johny Smith, 21, received confirmation Thursday morning that he was in fact the father of an 8-month-old baby. When he confronted the mother about the baby he saw on Facebook, she said the baby was adopted. An Oklahoma County judge ruled otherwise.

"I did kind of have a feeling that the baby was alive, but I wasn't sure. I didn't have proof," Smith said.

For Smith, thoughts of becoming a father turned into months of grieving for a baby he thought died at birth.

"When she told me that, I didn't believe it at first, but I didn't know what to feel really. I was kind of upset," said Smith. "I wanted to find the truth."

"We was misled about the baby being ours, and I believed them, that the baby was deceased," said Johny's dad, Terry Smith.  

A couple of months ago, Johny Smith saw his ex-girlfriend holding a baby on her Facebook page.

"She was smiling up a storm. She had, like, bug-looking glasses on, they were really big, and they were just adorable, and I was just like, yeah, that's my baby," said Smith.

Smith and his family hired a lawyer and filed a suit against the mother in an attempt to get the truth. After a day in court, the mother testified that baby was, in fact, his. 

"I was just ecstatic, I mean, because I didn't know the baby made it," said Smith. "I was totally happy about it. There's no better feeling."

With less than a day before the 8-month-old comes to live with Smith and his family, he and his parents spent most of the day getting as much for the baby as they could.

"It's a good day, It's a good day," said Smith's dad, Terry.

"I just want to be a good father and do the best that I can to support the child," said Smith.

Smith will meet his baby for the first time Friday morning at the Pottawatomie County Sheriff's office. Custody of the baby has been placed with him until the trial. No decision has been made on whether the mother will face any kidnapping charges.