ONG Issues Claims Number For Those Affected By NW OKC Home Explosion

<p>The investigation into what caused Saturday morning's fiery explosion is still ongoing.</p>

Monday, January 4th 2016, 9:45 pm

By: News 9

The investigation into what caused Saturday morning's fiery explosion is still ongoing. Oklahoma Natural Gas isn't saying much other than its cooperating with investigators.

But an Oklahoma City man raced to help the injured that morning and was one of the first on the scene. He captured the fire, minutes after the explosion.

The man who shot the video said all he intended to do that morning was help anyone in need by using his military first responder training. But what his video captured was the blaze firefighters battled to save the homeowner.

“That whole house exploded on to the houses next to it. I mean there is no structure there right now,” said Steven Brown in the video.

Like many other neighbors, the sound of the explosion jolted Brown from his bed.

1/4/2016 Related Story: Residents In NW OKC Neighborhood Want Answers After Gas Explosion

“I am pretty familiar with explosion. I’d been to Iraq several times,” he said.

Brown, a trained military first responder, raced to the scene of the explosion on Whispering Hollow Drive.

"Honestly I wasn't expecting a house explosion. I thought maybe plane crash or something. I thought it was big so that's why I went,” Brown said. “I didn't go there originally to film anything and when I got there I didn't start filming right off the bat. But once I’d seen the damage to just one structure and mostly everyone was OK and firefighters pretty much had it under control, I pulled out the camera just to share the story.”

Aerials from Bob Mills SkyNews 9 HD in the daylight showed the extent of the damage at Whispering Hollow Drive. Shingles still hung from trees and wood from homes were splintered and thrown like toothpicks in yards.

“It looked like a classic explosion. Looked like a bomb had been dropped on it,” Brown said.

With debris now strewn throughout the street, it's hard to believe the man living inside the home escaped with second- and third-degree burns.

“That surprises me more than anything. I mean the concussive blast went two mile and did severe damage to house all around it. How he survived is absolutely beyond me,” Brown said.

In the statement ONG released Monday night, the company said it will file its findings from the investigation to state and federal agencies by February 1.

The ONG claims hotline number for anybody affected by the NW 122nd and Rockwell house explosion is 1 (877) 620-4193.  


Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News 9 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

January 4th, 2016

July 3rd, 2024

June 28th, 2024

June 26th, 2024

Top Headlines

July 15th, 2024

July 14th, 2024

July 14th, 2024

July 14th, 2024