Bixby Students Charged With Rape Plead Not Guilty - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

News: Crime

Bixby Students Charged With Rape Plead Not Guilty

Posted: Updated:
From left to right, 17-year old Samuel Lakin, 16-year old Joe Wood, 17-year old William Thomas and 17-year old Colton Cable. From left to right, 17-year old Samuel Lakin, 16-year old Joe Wood, 17-year old William Thomas and 17-year old Colton Cable.
BIXBY, Oklahoma -

One day earlier than their scheduled court appearance, the four Bixby football players charged with rape pleaded not guilty.

Their next court date is scheduled for April 17, 2018.

The four students - 17-year old Samuel Lakin, 16-year old Joe Wood, 17-year old William Thomas and 17-year old Colton Cable – were charged with one count of rape by instrumentation.

3/1/2018 Related Story: Charges Filed In Bixby High School Football Rape Investigation

3/2/2018 Related Story: Four Teens Charged In Bixby Sexual Assault Booked Into Jail

According to court documents previously filed in the case, the four students admitted to participating in the sexual assault that happened at the home of former superintendent Kyle Wood's house on September 27, 2017. A fifth student admitted to recording it on video and sharing it with other high-school-aged people.

The documents say each student also identified the other student involved in the incident.

An affidavit says this investigation is looking into the sexual assault, whether the school reported it in a timely manner to authorities and if anyone tried to prevent a police investigation.

An affidavit says the victim was upstairs at Wood's home when he was held down by other football players and sexually assaulted.

Attorneys for four Bixby football players charged with rape said no crime was committed.

The attorneys said the boys shouldn't be charged with rape because it wasn't a rape, just part of a prankish, roughhousing culture on the football team that may have been going on for decades.

3/2/2018 Related Story: Behavior In Bixby Rape Case Was ‘Roughhousing’ Not Criminal, Attorneys Say

The attorneys for the four charged said this incident had possibly been going on for decades on the football team and they believe law enforcement and the media skewed the facts in the case.

Last week, News On 6 learned a 14-year-old boy reported a sexual assault that happened before the September incident at the former superintendent’s home. Sources said the boy reported two suspects were involved and one of them was also involved in the September case.

3/1/2018 Related Story: Sources: Second Bixby Student Reports Sexual Assault Involving Football Player

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation confirmed it was looking into the case.

Special Features

Bridge Tracker

How safe are Oklahoma?s bridges? Use Bridge Tracker to find out now.

Fallen Heroes

The News On 6 honors our fallen Oklahoma heroes. View our interactive timeline.

Links

Looking for a website or event you heard mentioned on The News On 6? Find it here!

Murrah Bombing Timeline

Learn more about the events leading up to and following the bombing.

Live Traffic

Get the latest road conditions on Green Country roadways.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive

Featured on NewsOn6.com

  • Cold Cases

    Join Lori and local homicide detectives as they search for Cold Case clues.

  • Crime Survival Guide

    What can you do to survive a crime? Find advice for personal safety here.

  • Links

    Looking for a website you heard mentioned on News On 6? Find it here!

Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.