OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters (OAB) has filed a lawsuit on behalf of News 9 and other media to obtain video that we feel you have the right to see. The suit was filed to force the City of Norman to comply with Oklahoma's open records law.

It shows OU football player Joe Mixon striking a woman in the face back in July.

Mixon has accepted a plea deal, and now the City of Norman said it won't be releasing the video.

“What's more important than a Joe Mixon video tape is a transparency of government,” said State Sen. David Holt, R-Oklahoma City.

State Senator David Holt told News 9 he thought he was making it more clear when he helped amend the Oklahoma's Open Records Act.

The language is now at the center of the Joe Mixon surveillance video debate.

“We felt we were restating the obvious,” said State Sen. Holt.

The law said public records, like the video showing a crime being committed inside Pickleman's Café from July, could be inspected.

“We felt adding the words 'and copying' was restating the law, a formality is one way of putting it.” added State Sen.Holt.

The words "and copying" went in the books effective Nov. 1.

The City of Norman said the Mixon case was resolved in October and providing copies of the video did not apply yet.

Assistant City Attorney Rick Knighton released this statement to News 9 Monday:

“The surveillance video obtained from Pickleman's Gourmet Cafe is no longer needed for the prosecution and may be returned to its owner.

The City has no interest in the surveillance video other than to insure it is handled properly under the law."

“I believe for the last two months they've been violating the spirit and letter of the law,” said State Sen. Holt.

Last week, News 9 informed the City of Norman that this video would be the subject of litigation.

The City of Norman told News 9 for that reason, a copy of the Mixon video will kept by the City, but will be kept confidential.

Last week, the owner of Pickleman's said he destroyed his copy of the Mixon tape.