By Amy McRee, NEWS 9
If the winter months are beginning to take a toll on your skin, you're not alone. We can all suffer this time of year, but the older we are the more at a disadvantage we are as well.
Amy McRee found some skin soothing advice tailored for older adults, so you can live your life your way.
Connie Stacy, director of nursing at Grace Living Center University Northwest in Tahlequah offered these tips:
Experts Offer Winter Skin Tips for Elders
1. Drink Water- water benefits overall health and hydrates the skin.
2. Take Shorter showers- in order to protect against low humidity and indoor heating, keep showers no more than 10 minutes -- and the water warm or tepid - not hot, Long hot showers strip natural oils from the skin at any age.
3. Use sensitive skin creams, ointments and lotions that don't contain alcohol which can be drying.
4. Use sunscreen daily- apply at least an SPF 15 sunscreen...whether your indoors or outside.. you may need a higher sunscreen outdoors.
5. Use a humidifier- it will help restore some moisture to your indoor air.
If you suffer from skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis, it is critical for you to take a little extra precaution.
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.