Texas Woman Dies After Eating Contaminated Oysters - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

NEWS

Texas Woman Dies After Eating Contaminated Oysters

Posted: Updated:
JASPER COUNTY, TX -

A woman from southeast Texas died after eating contaminated oysters.

According to health officials, 56-year-old Jane White Cunningham, of Jasper County, Texas, experienced a severe infection after consuming the oysters, which were contaminated with a bacteria called vibrio, CBS Dallas-Fort Worth reports.

Vibrio is found in coastal waters, especially warmer areas where oysters live.

Authorities say Cunningham's legs and an arm were subsequently amputated in an effort to cure the infection, but it wasn't enough.

"If you get typical food poisoning with vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and you've had raw oysters, you ought to consider this infection," said Dr. David Winter. "If you've got those symptoms, you need to get to the emergency room right away and get treated."

Some people only get the food poisoning symptoms with some forms of vibrio gastroenteritis.

According to Winter, it's best to eat oysters fried, not raw.

Special Features

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.

Politics

Breaking political news & the latest headlines from the state capitol & D.C.

Radars

See where weather is happening using our live interactive radars.

Technology

Spend your money wisely with reviews of new tech gadgets & the latest news in technology.

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive
Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.