Man Ends Up Brain Dead After Arrest By OCPD - - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Man Ends Up Brain Dead After Arrest By OCPD

Posted: Updated:
Right now, 35-year-old Quintel Watkins is on dialysis and brain dead. Right now, 35-year-old Quintel Watkins is on dialysis and brain dead.

A man stops breathing in Oklahoma City police custody, and now his family says CPR should have been performed much sooner.

Right now, 35-year-old Quintel Watkins is on dialysis and brain dead.

Apparently, several people called 911 last Friday morning after a number of disturbances were reported, allegedly because of Watkins.

What happened after police were called is what Watkins' mother said now has him on life support.

“When I got there, he was hollering," said Zola Jones. "He was laying on the ground.”

It's been more than seven days since 68-year-old Zola Jones said she has spoken to her son. He's been in a vegetative state at Integris Baptist Medical Center.

“He was laying right there by the corner of the street, and he looked in my face and saw me,” Jones said.

It was around 9:00 on the morning of October 10 when Oklahoma City police officers were called to the corner of N.W. 10th Street and N. MacArthur Boulevard.

“He said mamma, mamma, help me. Help me mamma,” Jones recalled.

Jones said she was called by Watkins' girlfriend, who he was with when he was taken into police custody near a tire shop.

“His arms was tied, his legs was tied. They had him hogged tied. He couldn't move,” said Jones. “He went into cardiac arrest, and he stopped breathing.”

“They had already called for an ambulance, because they noticed his breathing was somewhat labored,” Oklahoma City Police Department Captain Dexter Nelson said.

Capt. Nelson describes Watkins' behavior Friday as very bizarre.

“In the street, stopping cars, climbing on top of the cars and running into businesses,” Nelson described.

Nelson said when Watkins ran into the tire shop, two men didn't back down.

“They fought with him," said Nelson. "They took him down to the ground.”

The men held Watkins for some time until officers arrived and restrained him.

Evan Anderson: "Why do you think your son stopped breathing?"

Zola Jones: "I'm going to be honest and tell you the truth. The doctors told me, now my son, he do what he do, and he said he had some meth in him."

Jones feels officers waited too long to give her son CPR.

“If they knew he wasn't breathing, why didn't they untie him? They didn't have to leave him like that,” said Jones. “I'm expecting him to come home. He isn't coming home to me. That's something that I've got to live with as a mother.”

Investigators are still waiting on toxicology results to see exactly what was in Watkins' system.

The family said it plans to make a decision to take Watkins off life support as early as Friday.

Special Features

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.


Breaking political news & the latest headlines from the state capitol & D.C.


See where weather is happening using our live interactive radars.


Spend your money wisely with reviews of new tech gadgets & the latest news in technology.

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive
Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111 is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.