Sunday College Soccer Roundup - - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |


Sunday College Soccer Roundup

Posted: Updated:

Cowgirls Draw With Texas Tech

STILLWATER, Okla. – For the fourth time this season, Oklahoma State battled to a draw as the Cowgirls and 14th-ranked Texas Tech played to a 0-0 score Sunday at the Cowgirl Soccer Complex.

OSU is now 4-3-4 overall, which includes a 0-1-1 mark in Big 12 Conference play, while the Red Raiders are 10-1-1 and 1-0-1 in the league

"We had fantastic energy – we called them out again," said OSU head coach Colin Carmichael. "We've talked about that we're only playing one high-level game a weekend and the other we're not playing up to our capabilities, and it's more about motivation, passion and effort.

"Today you saw two great teams, but from our team standpoint, a team that fought hard and got after it and competed with an NCAA Tournament team toe-to-toe. We've demanded to see that kind of effort every game, and if we do that, win, lose or tie I will not complain if I see that kind of effort."

In her third start, Cowgirl freshman goalie Michela Ongaro recorded the first shutout of her career, notching four saves against the second-highest scoring team in the Big 12.

The Cowgirls outshot TTU in the opening half, 5-4, but Victoria Esson saved OSU's lone shot on goal.

Texas Tech's offense created more changes after intermission, recording 10 shots in the second half and overtime periods, but the Cowgirls came up big time and again defensively to keep the Red Raiders off the scoreboard.

"Our defense was really, really solid," Carmichael said. "Janine Beckie is one of the best forwards in the country and to keep her subdued like we did was nice. Our back four got after them and did a nice job defensively."

TTU finished with a 14-9 advantage in shots in the match while also owning an 8-6 edge on corner kicks.

OSU returns to action Friday when they travel to Norman to take on Bedlam-rival Oklahoma at 7 p.m.


Golden Eagles sink Islanders at home, 2-1

TULSA, Okla. – Mary-Kate Halsmer came through late again for the Oral Roberts University women's soccer team as they defeated Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 2-1, on Sunday at the Case Soccer Complex.

ORU earned its fourth straight victory and remained unbeaten in Southland Conference games as they improved to 8-2 overall and 3-0 in the SLC. The Islanders dropped to 1-9 and 0-4 on the season.

The Golden Eagles got the scoring going in the 27th minute when Halsmer found Kayla Keller with a through ball at the top of the box. Keller didn't waste any time, booting the ball into the top of the net for her fifth goal of the season.

Brooke Erdmann knotted the match at one in the 53rd minute, capitalizing on a rebound off a shot by Yvette Franco.

Looking like the match was destined for overtime, Megan Guico crossed the field with a pass from the right side, placed perfectly for a waiting Halsmer. The senior quickly blasted a shot into the right corner of the net for the game-winner.

It was Halsmer's fifth goal of the season, and her fourth game-winner. Her nine career game-winners is third most in program history.

Maddie Rhodes (4-1) continues to play well between the posts for the Golden Eagles, sending back five shots in her fourth victory of the season. The conference leader in saves, Audrey Baldwin, earned five saves as she dropped to 1-9.

ORU hits the road for the West Texas portion of its schedule as they travel to face Incarnate Word at 7 p.m. on Friday in San Antonio, Texas, followed by a date with Abilene Christian at 1 p.m. next Sunday.


Tulsa Women Battle Florida Atlantic to 0-0 Tie

Nicholson and O'Brien had four shot apiece

Tulsa, Oklahoma – The Tulsa women's soccer team battled Florida Atlantic to a 0-0 double-overtime tie on Sunday afternoon at the Hurricane Soccer and Track Stadium. TU moved to 7-3-1 on the season and 1-0-1 in Conference USA, while FAU moved to 2-6-3 overall and 0-0-2 in the league.

"I think it shows that there is a lot of parity in our league," Head Coach Kyle Cussen said. "Florida Atlantic did a good job of keeping the field compact, even when we got into the final third and got our chances, we didn't get good chances. It was a frustrating game and it felt like we did enough to create good chances, but it was one of those games. We have to be sharper in the final third and get ready for our next game."

Both teams battled for the 110 minutes but neither team could find the back of the net.

TU had a 21-4 lead in shots, including a 5-3 advantage in shots on goal, and a 6-1 lead in corner kicks.

Claire Nicholson and Jordan O'Brien led the Golden Hurricane with four shots apiece, while Lana Bermel had three attempts, all of which were on goal, and Tine Schryvers came in off the bench and had two shots.

Hayley Harryman logged all 110 minutes between the posts, recorded three saves and earned her sixth shutout on the year.

Tulsa will return to action on Friday, Oct. 4th against Southern Miss. Game time is set for 4:00 pm Central in Hattiesburg, Miss.


Late goals by Mira, Rogers lift ORU over IPFW, 2-1

TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts University men's soccer team started the Summit League schedule with a victory early Sunday morning as they topped Fort Wayne in overtime, 2-1.

ORU (3-4-1) improved its unbeaten streak to four matches and earned its first conference opening win since 2009. IPFW is still in search of its first win of the season as the Mastodons fell to 0-8-1 on the season.

After the match was postponed on Saturday due to field conditions at the Case Soccer Complex, Sunday's match kicked off at 8 a.m. Both squads struggled to get going throughout the match, playing the first 65 minutes in foggy conditions.

However, a defensive breakdown by the Golden Eagles broke a scoreless tie in the 82nd minute as Jose Rodriquez gave the Mastodons a 1-0 lead. Rodriquez collected a free ball outside the penalty area, dribbled through traffic in the box and placed the ball in the bottom left corner of the net.

With five seconds remaining in the match, Gerardo Salas drew a foul in the box near the end-line. Edgardo Mira was called upon to take the penalty kick. Mastodon keeper Raphael Kotzock knocked down the PK, but Mira followed for the game-tying goal.

It didn't take long for ORU to close out the match in the extra period. In the 91st minute, Marco Hernandez took a point blank shot that was deflected at the net, but Matt Rogers was near the right post to convert the game-winner.

Both goalkeepers earned seven saves in the match, with ORU keeper Ben LaCourse earning his third victory of the season. Kotzock's record dropped to 0-6-1.

Up next, ORU heads to South Texas for its second match of the season against Houston Baptist at 7 p.m. on Tuesday. The Huskies stunned the Golden Eagles at the Case Soccer Complex with a 2-1 victory in double-overtime.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive

Featured on

  • OU Sooners

    Find the latest sports news, schedules and more for the OU Sooners now!

  • OSU Cowboys

    Get all your OSU Cowboys information from sports highlights to the latest news & videos.

  • OKC Thunder

    Thunder Up! Get the latest sports news, game highlights, videos and updates on the team.

  • OKC Dodgers

    Cheer on the OKC Dodgers. Get your tickets and team information today.

Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111 is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.