Smoke Detector Helps Save Family Near Edmond
EDMOND, Oklahoma - A smoke alarm awakened a mother around 2 a.m. Friday when a fire broke out in her home between Edmond and Guthrie.
The Oak Cliff Fire Department says the woman grabbed her 2-year-old child, left the house and called for help. Firefighters arrived within minutes and quickly put out the flames. Fortunately, most of the damage was confined to a bathroom and no one was hurt.
Firefighters say incidents like this highlight why smoke detectors are so important.
"We can't say that enough, to make sure you are doing your yearly and bi-yearly checks on them," said Terry Darcy with the Oak Cliff Fire Department. "Test them. Change the batteries out. Make sure they're working. If you're in a situation where you can't get one or afford to get one, contact your local fire department. We'll help supply you with a battery-operated one. We'll come in and install it for you if needed."
It's not known yet how the fire started.