Yukon Family Escapes Early-Morning House Fire - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Yukon Family Escapes Early-Morning House Fire

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters discovered flames shooting from the attic when they arrived at a house fire in Yukon. Firefighters discovered flames shooting from the attic when they arrived at a house fire in Yukon.
Firefighters say the fire started in the chimney. Firefighters say the fire started in the chimney.

News9.com

YUKON, Oklahoma -- A family's attempt to keep warm caused a house fire early Thursday morning in the 700 block of Markley Lane in Yukon.

The homeowner said he and his family started a fire in the fireplace Wednesday night. About 1:30 a.m. on Thursday, they were awakened when smoke filled their home. They quickly escaped and called 911.

Firefighters rushed to the house and discovered flames roaring through the attic. Crews broke through the roof to put out the fire. The homeowner told firefighters he'd used his fireplace a lot last year, but hadn't cleaned it before he lit another fire Wednesday night. The fire started in the chimney. Captain Richard King with the Yukon Fire Department said people need to make sure to have a professional thoroughly clean their fireplace.

"The cooler weather is an instant reminder that if you burned a lot last year... to have those fireplaces cleaned before you start again this year."

The fire caused damage to the roof, attic and inside the house, but fire crews said there are a lot of salvageable items in the house.  No one was hurt.

Special Features

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.

Politics

Breaking political news & the latest headlines from the state capitol & D.C.

Radars

See where weather is happening using our live interactive radars.

Technology

Spend your money wisely with reviews of new tech gadgets & the latest news in technology.

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive
Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.