Disabled OKC Couple Says They Were Saved By Smoke Detector - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Disabled OKC Couple Says They Were Saved By Smoke Detector

Posted: Updated:
A working smoke detector helped a couple in Oklahoma City escape a house fire. A working smoke detector helped a couple in Oklahoma City escape a house fire.
Investigators believe a water heater started the fire. Investigators believe a water heater started the fire.

News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A disabled couple says they were able to escape an early-morning house fire because of their smoke detector.

Michael and Verna Ellis were sleeping in their home near N.E. 71st Street and Sooner when they were suddenly awakened by the shrieking of their fire alarm. 

"I'm a testimony that it saves lives, you just never know when you'll need it," Mr. Ellis said.

Mr. Ellis recently had foot surgery, but the couple was able to escape the burning house.  They were just coming out when firefighters arrived.

Fire crews were able to quickly put out the flames.  They believe a water heater started the fire.

The couple did not have insurance, and said they're not sure where they are going to live. The Red Cross has stepped in to help.  The family said despite their loss, they're grateful to be alive.

"I just leave it to God and I have to be strong for my wife.  She is going through so much right now, her sister just passed away last night and I have to be strong for her," Ellis said.

 

Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.