Winter Weather Moving Into Oklahoma - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Winter Weather Moving Into Oklahoma

Posted: Updated:

News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Winter weather could affect Central Oklahoma's commute to work and school Monday, according to News 9 meteorologist Matt Mahler. On Sunday, residents can expect wind chills in the 20s with light snow possible.

Two storm systems will be affecting Oklahoma over the next few days. Southeastern Oklahoma will bear the brunt of the first storm system moving in Sunday.

Winter weather advisories are in effect from 6 p.m. Sunday through 6 p.m. Monday for several counties including Alfalfa, Blaine, Custer, Dewey, Ellis, Garfield, Grant, Harper, Kay, Kingfisher, Logan, Mayor, Noble, Payne, Rogers Mills, Woods and Woodward. 

The first storm system is moving into extreme southeastern Oklahoma on Sunday. As temperatures drop during the day, that area will see rain changing to wintry mix and then most likely snow on Sunday night and Monday morning, Mahler said.

Accumulations in southeastern Oklahoma could be anywhere from 1 to 4 inches today and tonight, Mahler said. Le Flore County is under a Winter Storm watch Sunday morning.

Another storm system will drop down from the northwest Sunday afternoon. Central Oklahoma could see light snow as soon as about 8 p.m. Sunday, he said. The second system is expected to make it down into Oklahoma late Sunday and overnight Monday.

News 9 Weather

There is a 40 percent chance of snow on Sunday increasing to 60 percent on Monday for the News 9 viewing area.

"As you wake up tomorrow morning and get ready to go on your morning commute for work or school, here comes the low pressure system," he said.

"By the afternoon drive, as you get off of work: snow blanketing a lot of Central and Eastern Oklahoma."

About an inch of snow is expected in the Metro area, and it should be gone by Monday night. The cold temperatures, however, will be hanging around with lows in the teens – or on Wednesday – single digits.

Travel Conditions

For road conditions in Oklahoma, call 405-425-2385, or you can also check out Oklahoma Department of Transportation's Road Conditions Page.

Keep checking back to News9.com for weather updates. 

Get free weather alerts sent to your phone or email, including warnings and school closings, all for free with News 9 Mobile Alerts.

Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.