John Marshall Students Suspended After Overdosing On Prescription Drugs
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Four John Marshall High School students who took prescription drugs and had to be rushed to the hospital have been suspended from school.
Eight female students in the 6th, 7th and 8th grades became ill Friday after taking the drugs. All of them are okay. Four of them returned to class Monday.
The students were sent home after being suspended for 45 days, pending a hearing. Oklahoma City Public Schools spokesperson Tierney Cook-Tinnin said the hearing will use the Student Code of Conduct to determine the appropriate punishment for their actions.
After the girls were taken to the hospital, police confiscated a Seroquel pill and bottle from the school. Seroquel is used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Results from toxicology tests and medical exams have not come in yet, so it's not known if Seroquel is the drug the girls ingested.
The district's Safe and Drug Free Schools office held an assembly at John Marshall Monday morning to remind students of the danger of sharing pills and prescription medication.