Victim Discovered At Mercy Hospital Identified, Suspect In Custody

Tuesday, July 5th 2022, 5:18 pm


A traffic stop in northwest Oklahoma City on Sunday led police to the arrest of a murder suspect. Police officials said Shawn Tackitt, 41, confessed in the back of a patrol car to killing his girlfriend 42-year-old Erin Fowler. He then allegedly told officers her body was dumped at Mercy Hospital.  

News 9 confirmed Fowler was the Director of Operations for the Victims’ Impact Panel of Oklahoma. The executive director described Fowler as “an amazing and passionate advocate and dear friend.” 

Officers made the troubling discovery at the hospital Sunday night shortly after Tackitt was pulled over at a traffic stop in another part of the city. 

“Police were on patrol in the area of northwest 36th and Grand,” said Sgt. Dillon Quirk, Oklahoma City Police Department. “They spotted a vehicle that was driving erratically through that area.”  

Tackitt pulled over in an On Cue parking lot near northwest 36th and May. Police said the man's behavior was erratic and he appeared to be highly intoxicated. Tackitt was detained and put in a patrol car. 

“It was learned that the driver was involved in a shooting,” said Quirk. 

According to an arrest affidavit, officers saw a large amount of blood splatter, pooled blood, and human hair in the front of Tackitt's Suburban. They also found a shotgun, spent casings and live shotgun shells. Officers said Tackitt attempted to escape the patrol car and made statements such as, "I killed her," "I shot her," and "I thought she was pulling a gun on me." 

“Had indicated the victim was dropped off at a local hospital,” said Quirk.   

Police found Fowler's body at Mercy Hospital and confirmed she died after being shot in the back of the head. During the investigation at the hospital, police received surveillance video of Tackitt driving the same Suburban. They said he made circles around the ER entrance and eventually pushed the victim's body out of the Suburban. 

Tackitt was arrested after police found the woman's body. He was booked into the Oklahoma County Detention Center on a first-degree murder complaint.