Sassy Mama: Norwegian Meatballs
Monday, December 20th 2021, 5:55 pm
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb sausage
- 2 tablespoons of minced dried onion
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Buillon Beef Base
- 1/4 cup red wine, (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
To make meatballs:
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef and sausage with the minced onion.
- Add in the beaten eggs, dried breadcrumbs, and whipping cream.
- Using your hands or a large wooden spoon mix in all of the ingredients till they are well incorporated.
- If the meat seems dry add 1/4 cup more whipping cream.
- The meat mixture will have kind of a sticky texture.
- Using a cookie scoop the size of a golf ball, scoop out the meatballs and form into smooth balls using damp hands.
- Set on a baking sheet until you’re ready to cook.
To cook meatballs:
- Brown the meatballs in a large shallow sauce pan with melted butter.
- Turn the meatballs every so often to make sure they are evenly browned.
- Once the meatballs are done browning remove from the sauce pan.
- Now it’s time to make the sauce.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of flour in the leftover grease in the pan and stir together to form a roux over medium heat.
- Allow this to cook 1 to 2 minutes or until it reaches a nutty brown color.
- Stir in the beef bouillon base and then quickly whisk in the red wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan with your whisk.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the brown gravy mix and whisk in 2 cups of water and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer the sauce while whisking to remove any lumps and so the sauce will thicken.
- Once the sauce thickens, set the browned meatballs back in the sauce and cover the pan and reduce the heat to low.
- Allow the meatballs to simmer on the stove top for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Click here to follow Sassy Mama on Facebook.