Woman Hospitalized After Wreck On State Highway 9 Near Norman

Monday, December 6th 2021, 4:41 pm

NORMAN, Oklahoma -

One metro woman is recovering in a hospital after a bad crash on Highway 9 near Norman.

Anna Gibson was just about five minutes from home when the crash happened.

Her mom told News 9 she knew something was wrong when her daughter didn't show up.

"My daughter had called me just about eight minutes before this accident," said Gibson's mom, Christine Gibson.

After 45 minutes, Christine Gibson tried to go find her 21-year-old daughter. She saw that part of the highway was blocked off.

"We stopped and asked the police officer what was going on, and he said there had been a wreck," said Christine Gibson. "I just had a feeling something was wrong."

About 2:45 p.m. on November 26 around 2:45 p.m., another driver crossed the center line on the Highway 9 near 108th Avenue SE, causing the head-on collision, Norman police said.

"I remember we were just driving down the road, talking and then this white car was in front of us," said Dominique McCullough, Anna Gibson's passenger. "Then, the next thing I remember was waking up and Anna was next to me."

McCullough tried to get help.

"I thought she was going to die," said McCullough. "I tried to get out of the car to get someone to call 911."

McCullough ended up with internal injuries from the crash but is back home in Texas.

Anna broke both feet and several bones in her left leg. She also suffered a brain bleed and had to have surgery to remove part of her skull.

"She wakes up and it's just an agitative and combative state and just confused," said Christine Gibson.

Today, Anna Gibson's mom said her daughter seemed to react to familiar faces and said a few words, but this is the start of a life-long journey.

"My daughter has to live with this for the rest of her life," said Christine Gibson.

Her daughter was a member of the Oklahoma National Guard. Now, Christine Gibson worries that won't be an option for Anna Gibson.

"I wish I could trade places with her because my healing is going to be a lot shorter than hers," said McCullough.

Police told News 9 the investigation could take months and possible impairment is always included in that.

Anna Gibson's friends have set up a GoFundMe to help.