A nine-year-old was honored by the Broken Arrow Fire Department Tuesday afternoon for saving his twin brother's life.
The department presented nine-year-old Gavin Oxford with their Bravery Award.
Gavin's quick-thinking saved his twin brother Ethan from a parent's worst fear when Ethan started to choke and gasp for air after swallowing a penny.
“I didn’t think this would be too big, so I was like, ‘Okay I saved my brother’s life, that’s a really good thing.’ And then the news found out!" Gavin said.
Gavin was humble, but his brother Ethan said without Gavin, he may not have made it.
“I probably would’ve passed out in a few more minutes if he didn’t get his arms around me and got that out," Ethan said.
Fire Chief Jeremy Moore said it happened on September 7, when the boys were in the back seat of their grandma's car.
“Gavin and Ethan were on the way to soccer practice and for some reason there was a series of unfortunate events where a penny ended up in Ethan’s mouth," Moore said at the ceremony inside Station #3.
Gavin knew exactly what to do and leapt into action. He wrapped his arms around his brother and started performing the Heimlich maneuver.
Their mom, Joanna Oxford, said she's proud of how calm Gavin stayed throughout the entire ordeal.
“In most situations, adults freak out and yet as a nine-year-old, he stayed calm and collected and just jumped into action," Joanna said.