A metro woman has been hospitalized with West Nile virus.
For the last two weeks, Stormy Porter has been at St. Anthony's Hospital. Her parents said it started when she began feeling sick and things escalated.
Don Porter, Stormy's father, said it all transpired quickly.
"She called me and told me she wasn't feeling right and having chest pains," Don said.
She went to the emergency room, and everything checked out, but later she began having severe leg spasms and the following day could barely walk.
Her condition got worse.
"She just collapsed in the floor," Don said. "Couldn't move from her neck down."
"It was really scary just because you don't know what's going on with your kid," Jessie Porter, Stormy's mother said. "She had her little girl there."
According to her parents, Stormy is diagnosed with a spinal stroke, along with an autoimmune disorder and West Nile virus. Don said just days before Stormy was hospitalized, she was bit by a mosquito.
"I was just shocked because I know I see it on the news all the time," Don said. "You never think it's going to happen to your family or someone you're close to."
According to the Oklahoma State Department of Health, these are the perfect conditions for mosquitos. They urge everyone take extra precautions this time a year.
"It'll never be just another mosquito bite again," Don said. "We're fully aware what it can cause."
The family started a GoFundMe page for Stormy. Click here if you’d like to help her.