Veterinarians Warn Pet Owners About Danger Of Blue-Green Algae In Lake Hefner

Wednesday, June 30th 2021, 8:46 am


Blue-green algae found at Lake Hefner can not only be harmful to humans, it can also make your pet sick and even lead to death.

Neel Veterinary Hospital veterinarian Sherrie Hodgson said your best bet is to avoid the water altogether.

“It's not something that we see frequently here at all, but obviously, it is possible that it can happen and when that happens, owners need to be very aware of that and keep their pets away from certain areas and obviously, don't get in the water yourself either,” Hodgson said.  

If you’re a pet owner, Hodgson also suggested you keep your dog away from lake water, to bathe them right away and wash their paws if they get any lake water on them, to seek immediate medical care if they drink the water, and use gloves to protect yourself in case your pet was exposed.

"It should be seen by your veterinarian, especially if it is having signs, get it there immediately because you don't know what is happening,” Hodgson said.

Ingesting the blue-green algae can cause vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, seizures, liver failure and, occasionally, sudden death in dogs.

At her clinic, Hodgson said they have already treated one dog who was exposed to blue-green algae at a different lake earlier this summer.

City officials are spot-treating the lake for any algae blooms, but there is no timeline on when the blue-green algae will be completely gone due to the recent unpredictable weather.


Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News 9 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

June 30th, 2021

September 7th, 2022

September 7th, 2022

September 7th, 2022

Top Headlines

September 28th, 2022

September 28th, 2022

September 28th, 2022

September 28th, 2022