Nicoma Park Police Investigate Woman's Claims Of Kidnapping, Attempted Rape Inside Storage Shed

Wednesday, June 2nd 2021, 6:39 pm

NICOMA PARK, Oklahoma -

Police in Nicoma Park recently opened an investigation after a woman claimed she was held against her will and sexually assaulted inside a storage shed. The victim told police the suspect was someone she knew.  

The attempted rape and alleged kidnapping happened a week following 38-year-old Colby Wathan’s release from the Oklahoma County Detention Center for another incident in Nicoma Park and outstanding warrants from Midwest City.

The latest investigation involving Wathan started over Memorial Day weekend. Nicoma Park police got two 911 hang-up calls; Oklahoma County dispatch pinged the calls to an area not far from the police department.

“Well, the phone pinged at Northeast 23rd Street and Westminister Road,” said Lt. Mike Weiss, Nicoma Park Police Department.

An officer found a woman walking on Northeast 23rd Street and stopped to ask if she called for help.

“She was hesitant to speak up to say yes it was her,” said Weiss. “She feared he would retaliate against her.”

It took a little more questioning to learn the woman was possibly a victim of kidnapping and attempted rape.

“We were able to go out to the actual scene that she showed us and was able to find evidence that corroborated her story,” said Weiss. 

The woman told police that Wathan held her against her will inside an empty storage shed at a local business. According to court documents, Wathan allegedly held her down and removed her underwear, but stopped when she screamed at him.

She was able to get away, but not without a few injuries.

“She had some scratches and burns on the back of her knees,” said Weiss.  

The woman refused medical treatment and a rape exam, but police said they have the scene evidence and were able to question the suspect.

“We were able to locate him Monday morning and take him into custody,” said Weiss. 

Wathan is being held in the Oklahoma County Detention Center on complaints of first-degree rape and kidnapping. He has not been formally charged by the Oklahoma County District Attorney. The investigator said he will present charges to the DA’s office this week.