Michigan Man Killed By Police 1 Week After Moving To SW OKC

Friday, November 20th 2020, 3:56 pm


Two Oklahoma City police officers were placed on paid administrative leave following a deadly shooting. They shot and killed a man originally from Michigan on Thursday night.

The suspect has been identified as 43-year-old Michael Dansby. Dansby had moved to Oklahoma City last week.

Dansby’s fiancé told News 9 on Friday that he was a good man who leaves three children behind. She also said that he had not been himself since he made the move.

In the days leading up to the shooting, police confirmed that Dansby called 911 to report that he was being harassed.

Dansby's fiancé made a frantic call to 911 from their southwest Oklahoma City home on Thursday night. The dispatcher sent two officers to check out the situation.

"Units en route to trouble unknown,” according to radio traffic at the time of the call. “Calling party says that her husband or fiancé had a rifle. While male, beige sweater, blue jeans. Said he’s imagining or hallucinating, I guess.”

The frightened woman told the dispatcher that Dansby was loading a rifle to confront their neighbors.

Police said Dansby believed his neighbors were watching him through security cameras.

When officers arrived to the area of Southwest 50th and Shartel Avenue, they found Dansby walking around with a rifle in hand.

Officers ordered him to drop the weapon, but police said, he instead raised the rifle. The two responding officers fired at Dansby, killing him at the scene.

“Shots fired, shots fired,” according to radio traffic following the shooting. “Officers are OK. Suspect down. We’re going to need some ambulances please.”

Several neighbors were on their porch when they heard multiple gunshots.

“Then we heard boom, boom, boom and we looked around and we knew it was coming from that side,” neighbor Tanya Weber said. “I said, ‘What was that?’ and he said, ‘Sounded like gunshots.’ The next I know, there’s like 10 cop cars shooting down the street.”

The deadly shooting is now under investigation while the two officers are on administrative leave pending the outcome.