Newcastle Public Schools Superintendent Melonie Hau said students at all four sites will begin distance learning on Wednesday.
The Early Childhood Learning Center and high schoolers were already doing classes virtually.
According to the district’s Facebook page, the district is reporting 27 positive COVID-19 cases and 392 individuals in quarantine.
The district said six cases are at the Early Childhood Center; three are at the elementary school; five middle school cases; and 13 cases at the high school.
Superintendent Hau said the city of Newcastle is reporting 41 active cases, the most it’s seen since the pandemic hit Oklahoma back in mid-March.
Parents will receive information on how to access lessons from home, according to the Facebook post.
So far, Superintendent Hau said the plan is to bring all students back to in-person classes on Monday, October 5th.
The superintendent posted on Facebook that the district will still serve meals though a pickup line at the elementary school from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The district said it will continue to follow McClain County and State Health Department protocols, because ignoring them would put everyone at risk.
“I know these decisions put stress on families.” Said Superintendent Hau. “We would rather be in school for face-to-face instruction, and we were able to have five successful weeks of students being in classrooms with their teachers. I am confident that we will provide the same responsiveness and care while your students are learning from home.”
The superintendent said the district is still looking over Kid Zone availability and will send updates soon on how to safely reopen the program.
Superintendent Hau said parents can email her about the district’s decision-making process at firstname.lastname@example.org.