First responders are sending condolences to the family of a 17-month-old baby girl who died over the weekend.
Police said the baby was left in a hot car in southwest Oklahoma City.
Authorities said it’s a mistake any family could make.
“These are not parents who you know are uncaring at all. In any way, and every profession, you name it, there has been a tragedy,” Laura Gamino, with Safe Kids OKC Metro and OU Medical Trauma, said.
Gamino and Leslie Gamble, with AAA, work to prevent tragedies like this by teaching good habits.
“Have reminders that you put in the vehicle with you. For instance, you take the child’s diaper bag and put it in the front seat,” Gamble said.
According to the experts, some people take it a step further.
“I’ve heard of ideas of taking your shoe off and putting your shoe in the back seat, because you’re not going to walk away from the car without both of your shoes on,” Gamble said.
With hot weeks ahead, experts advise you call 911 if you see unattended children or pets in parked cars.
“If you look at the weather the next few days, it’s going to be blistering hot, and it’s not going to take time for anybody to get dehydrated or kick into heat stroke sitting in a car,” Oklahoma City Fire Department Major Louis Marschik said.